Experienced Traveler

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
Jimebob

Experienced Traveler

Unread post by Jimebob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:58 am

Hello All!

I've been a traveler for over 3 years now and feel like I've finally got the hang of this... though there's always more to learn.

Feel free to ask me any questions!!!!

James
James R Spencer, PT, DPT, OCS, CSCS
Current location: Kona, HI

kristen88

Re: Experienced Traveler

Unread post by kristen88 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:10 pm

James,

Hello, I am going to be a new grad shortly and am seriously considering Travel PT. I see that it is recommended that you gain a year or two of experience before traveling, but I feel as though if I don't do travel PT now I never will. Is it really difficult to start as a new grad in travel PT and is there a setting that would make the adjustment easier? Thanks!

Kristen

Jimebob

Unread post by Jimebob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Kristen,

Thanks for writing, this is definitely the question I hear most often.

When I started traveling I had worked for 6 months. 6 years later, quitting that job was still one of the hardest things I have had to do professionally, but also the most rewarding :). My point is, I totally understand how you can get "stuck" if you go work first.

I do think that 6 months of a steady job as a PT, not just on clinical, really helped me shape my vision of how I should practice as a PT. As far as people who do travel right out of school, I can tell you great success stories and I can tell you stories of hellish first experiences.

So... I really do think you should get at least a little experience before traveling, but if not you really need to be diligent about choosing an assignment with mentorship and an opportunity to learn.

You definitely can find a job traveling without experience, it's more about your growth as a professional and as a good PT. :-)

Keep in touch and feel free to ask more questions!

James

kristen88

Unread post by kristen88 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:48 pm

James,

Thanks for reply. You have definitely given me a lot to think about. I am still going to look into the travel PT route, but I will do my research to see if i can find a mentor or some way to make the transition a little less stressful and to help me to build my PT skills. I wouldn't mind working for 6 months or so and then pursue travel, but I have been told that you should stay at your first job at least a year so that it doesn't blemish your resume. Do you know how true that is? Thanks again!

Kristen

Jimebob

Unread post by Jimebob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:45 pm

I tried to drum up some attention to this post so we could get some other view points too... guess it didn't really work, maybe I'll try again over the next couple days to get some friends on here writing.

As far as your resume goes, I don't think there is any harm at all in leaving your first job after 6 months. Especially with becoming a traveler, there should be no harm at all in having a 6 month job on your resume. If you're looking for a permanent job and have hopped from permanent placement to permanent placement after only several months each time, then I think employers begin to wonder. Seriously though, I think any traveler would tell you that even though their employment changes every few months and even with a resume with a dozen different clinics in a few years, they get offered permanent jobs ALL THE TIME.

Of course, I recommend you work somewhere for a short period just to get your skills settled in before travel. But whenever you do decide to travel (earlier or later) I'm more than willing to guide you in finding a good assignment and help you get in a good situation professionally :-) So keep me in the loop and don't be afraid to ask more questions!!!

Keep us updated!

Jimebob

Unread post by Jimebob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Hey Kristen!

I stumbled across an old blog I did on professional growth during traveling... seems pertinent to our conversation.

http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/2011/04 ... sacrifice/

AnnaPT

Unread post by AnnaPT » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi all!
I realize your discussion was a while ago but thought I'd contribute to help out any other new grads who are reading this...

I'm a new grad and about to start my first travel placement. I had a lot of the same concerns as Kristen but I feel ready to get started. I was fortunate to have great clinical experiences leaving me feel confidant that I could hit the ground running as a traveler. I disagree with the blanket statement that new grads shouldn't do travel!! I think it has a lot to do with you as an individual, your clinical experiences, and how independent/confidant you are in your abilities. But obviously I'm just starting so I'll have to say for sure once I get more experience :wink:

Anyway... any update from Kristen on how it went?
-Anna

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Anna,

Thanks so much for adding to the convo.

I think this is one of the great debates in travel PT; to travel right out of school or not?

Keep us updated, Anna. I think your perspective as a new grad traveling right away is a great one to have. Also! Let me know if you feel like writing a blog or two about it!

James