When to start?

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
Lindsay33

When to start?

Unread post by Lindsay33 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey guys!
I am still signed onto contract now until November, but am planning to try to do travel PT when I finish. How soon should I start getting in contact with companies? I know I should start working on getting some licenses now. I started looking a little while ago and companies told me it was too early(I talked to some of the larger companies). Also, from what I have read, most people prefer smaller companies, but how do I find those companies? When I search for PT travel companies, I assume the first showing results are the much larger companies that seem to have bad reps.

Thanks!

Lindsay Harris PT, DPT, CSCS

WonderAshley

Re: When to start?

Unread post by WonderAshley » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:52 am

Hi Lindsay,
It's definitely a bit early to start looking. I have barely even thought about my next assignment in August beyond if I have my licenses in order and resume updated.
Maybe get the ball rolling in late September/early October to make sure you can get all of your physicals, drug tests, immunization records/updates, and paperwork out of the way? Just one thought, others might have other opinions.

For a general list of companies, I checked this list here. http://www.healthcaretravelbook.com/tra ... -companies
It has the bare minimum: company names, websites, and contact information. Staffing agencies seem to be changing all of the time, so I wouldn't trust anyone who said that had an unbiased, up-to-date list with much details for comparison/ranking. If they did, I'm sure the list would be biased with sponsors.

Disclaimer: On that site there are a number of PR from several companies and recruiters within the forums. Some of the advice may be good, but some of it may be self-serving. A lot of PT's are willing to suggest their recruiter just for the referral bonus.

It wouldn't hurt to poke around in order to steer clear of horror-story-worthy companies, but my best advice would be to ask a traveler whom you trust for his/her recruiter(s). That's how I found my gem!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: When to start?

Unread post by Hobohealth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:59 pm

Just adding my 10 cents:

I agree completely with Ashley on everything she said. September sounds fine to start searching... you could touch base with recruiters just to get the ball rolling, but probably won't find anything until pretty close to your starting date.

I do try to avoid voicing my recruiter preferences here on this website, but if you want to email me directly for a recruiter suggestion, you can feel free : [email protected]

Good luck!

James