Unemployment between assignments ?

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
a_fals

Unemployment between assignments ?

Unread post by a_fals » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:36 am

Hi James and hobo-health world! I am just wrapping up my first assignment (yay Dallas!) and headed out to Charleston South Carolina !
My current assignment was wonderful and allowed me a week off for the holidays! I will obviously be taking about a week or so to travel from TX-SC.
I have an aunt who works for the state I am from and she works in the unemployment office. She has been pushing me to sign up for unemployment for the times I am not currently working (ie this week off, between assignments). Per her and the rules she knows, it is completely legal and teachers, other traveling health professionals etc often do this for the extra income.
My question is, have you or has anyone ever done this/heard of doing it. On one hand, it makes sense and on the other hand it sounds complicated and confusing. If it is legal I can see the appeal to doing so, so you're not "losing" a week of income. Any advice/insight is appreciated !

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Unemployment between assignments ?

Unread post by Hobohealth » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:51 pm

I have never done this or heard of a traveler doing this, but I have heard of ski lift operators here in Colorado doing it. I suppose they are in the same situation we are - temporary employment that has a set end date, so I suppose it can be done.

For me it falls somewhere between "this is what my tax dollars pay for, so I should take advantage of the benefit" and "I'm not really the person unemployment is intended for" ...but you have me thinking, that's very interesting. I wonder if there's any downside to collecting unemployment benefits - credit score, taxes, etc.

First assignment was good? Tell more! Good luck with your transition to the next job.

cronuflicks

Re: Unemployment between assignments ?

Unread post by cronuflicks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:58 pm

In theory it seems like a good way to knock out some student loans, but may not be good for when you actually need unemployment. I would not collect in between jobs, because you have the choice to start an assignment on a given date and distance from current job.