Traveling PT with a family

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
Jeanette

Traveling PT with a family

Unread post by Jeanette » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:55 am

My husband and I are looking into traveling PT. Are goals are twofold: pay off 60k in student debt AND see more of the country with the ultimate goal to permanently move away from Rochester, NY. My husband is NOT a PT. We also have a 1 year old son and two cats. The plan is we travel together, I will work and save while my husband stays home with our son and prepares for his GRE.

So my questions are

1. Has anyone has done traveling therapy with a family? If so, was it a good or bad experience?
2. Is the baggage of family going to impact if a recruiter will want to work with me?
3. Does anyone have insight into pros/cons?

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Traveling PT with a family

Unread post by Hobohealth » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Jeanette,

I wish I could offer first hand info on traveling with a family, I'll try to see if I can get someone else to comment on here who may have experience moving their family (a close friend just came to mind who recently started traveling with her non-PT husband and young child).

Traveling with the family definitely ads an extra challenge, but there are ways to do it. In no way should your family moving with you affect your ability to get jobs or to have recruiters work with you.

Typically travel jobs are individual 13 weeks contracts. Meaning that every 13 weeks, you are either looking for a new assignment or extending the current assignment you are in. However, you could negotiate a longer contract, because I imagine moving every 13 weeks could be a challenge - home care comes to mind as an area that frequently has 6 month contracts instead of the otherwise standard 3 months. If permanent relocation is your ultimate goal, you might focus on a particular region that has a lot of job openings (a recruiter could help direct you towards an area like this). That way, you could try out a few different jobs in one region or city without having to relocate. If there's a particular city you have in mind, it might also be a way to convert a travel assignment into a future permanent position if you find a really great assignment.

Hope this helps a little, I'm going to contact my friend who has started traveling with her family and see what insight she may have.

James