Relocation reimbursement

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
a_fals

Relocation reimbursement

Unread post by a_fals » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Question ! I just started my first travel assignment and wanted to ask a few questions.
My first question mainly being in regards to travel expense/relocation reimbursement. The first quote I was given was $400, but I negotiated to their supposed ceiling of $500 as I had to drive 1800 miles and spend multiple overnights I hotels. I was speaking with another travel therapist at my assignment today who said I was way lowballed, and she believe the federal regulation was 50c on the mile. Anyone with more experience or better knowledge on that than I?
Also, I had to buy $200 worth of new scrubs (color requirement)- is that something I should have negotiated into my contract to be reimbursed, or would they consider that to fall under the non-taxable "per diem" stipend ?

Any insight into this situation would be appreciated !!!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Relocation reimbursement

Unread post by Hobohealth » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Congrats on the new job!

I think the bottom line is that every recruiting agency has a chunk of money out of your contract that they are willing to give you. If you get $1000 travel reimbursement instead of $500, that extra $500 dollars has to come from somewhere - most likely your hourly pay or per diem. As travelers, we are kept in the dark as to what the agency is making and how much they are willing to pay you at their top dollar - so, it is difficult, if not impossible, to know if you are making as much as you possibly can. Maybe your co-worker's hourly pay sucks, or maybe they are getting a better deal because there was more need at the time they signed up. There's just too many factors to figure it out. If you are happy with your rate, I think that's the most important thing.

You can maximize your take home by lumping as much pay as possible into tax-free money rather than taxed hourly wages. However, that is a red flag for the IRS if hourly pay goes too low, so your agency will be hesitant to go below a certain amount per hour.

Travel reimbursements are some what arbitrary numbers - the IRS has a limit of 52 cents/mile if we're talking mileage, but that is in no way guaranteed. On your next assignment, you can try to play some hardball with your contract to try to squeeze out as much money as possible, but I wouldn't worry about comparing travel reimbursements with other travelers unless you know their whole pay package. Make sense?

Here's a blog that delves into some of these topics in a little more depth: http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/contrac ... -you-paid/