Length of contract and hours of work

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
melenatale

Length of contract and hours of work

Unread post by melenatale » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:16 am

Aloha friends! I was wondering what are the high and low ends of the length of contract (weeks - months) and high and low hours per week that the companies can offer. Since I am a mom, I may not want to work a full 40 hours. What is your experience?

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Length of contract and hours of work

Unread post by Hobohealth » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Aloha!

Standard length for a contract is 13 weeks. With that said, I've had one 13 week contract that was going well and I ended up extending a couple times to total 10 months... extending contracts happens pretty frequently at places that have an ongoing need for therapists.

I have done a couple 6 month contracts. I know an SLP that traveled for a few years just doing school contracts (9 months). I would suggest that if there is a specific length of contract you want, just ask your recruiters and they can try and negotiate it for you! There's a lot of different facilities with different needs out there.

Hours per week has always been 40 for me, but I would tell your recruiters how many hours you want and let them negotiate it for you. One hang-up you might find is that certain staffing agencies will want you to work a certain number of hours to maintain your benefits, I would just be clear about those details before signing any contract.

Sorry, I'm going on and on, but I think there's one more thing worth mentioning. I would make sure whatever number of hours you decide on are guaranteed. Meaning if you show up expecting 36 hours of work, but there's only 32 hours of work for you to do, you still get paid 36 hours. Guaranteed hours.

Hope this helps! Be in touch!

James