Interviewing

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
KtVi

Interviewing

Unread post by KtVi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 pm

One of the most stressful things surrounding the job search as a traveler can be the interview. Add to that the typical traveler interviews over the phone for position, so you've got to be in top notch phone form when that call comes in. Here are a few tips that I've put together after having had probably a hundred interviews over the years, both in person and over the phone. Please feel free to leave your own tips, dispute my ideas, and brainstorm on ways to improve!

1. Prepare yourself. Be in a quiet place with low risk for interruption before starting an interview. If on a cell phone, try to be someplace with good reception.

2. Speak slowly, clearly, and confidently. Listen to the question and answer what is being asked. I typically listen to the interviewer tell about the facility and even take notes on a scrap piece of paper, and then do my talking/question asking when they are finished.

3. Ask questions that are important to you specifically, such as scheduling, patient demographics, patient contact time, and responsibilities when appropriate. Write them down first so you don’t forget. You don't want to wait until your first day to find out you're working weekends if that is not your plan.

4. Look for red flags! Make sure you ask enough questions to see the whole picture during an interview. Here are a few items to check:
o How are physical therapist assistants utilized? Are they adequately supervised? Are patients automatically put onto PTA schedules or does the PT choose?
o Are physical therapy aides working within accepted/legal parameters? Are they supervised?
o How long are patient appointments?
o What are the productivity requirements?
o Who provides the codes for billing? Is the PT responsible for dealing with insurance companies and billing?
o How are ethical issues managed? Are there any indicators that insurer requirements are not being met?
o Is the practice owned by physicians (POPTS)?
o Does the facility make evidence based practice a priority?

5. Don't forget to highlight your skills and tell the interviewer your experience level, don't be shy! They might be interviewing several candidates and you want to stand out. Reading a resume isn't the same as speaking with someone in person.

6. At the end of the interview, be sure to thank the interviewer. Exchange contact information if appropriate to ask any questions that may pop up after you hang up.

shanmcnic

Re: Interviewing

Unread post by shanmcnic » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 pm

I am new to travel PT and recently began interviewing for contract positions arranged through a travel company. Is it expected that I send a thank you note/email to the site where I interviewed as is often done with a standard job interview? Any etiquette tips for contacting the site directly? Thanks!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Interviewing

Unread post by Hobohealth » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Shanmcnic,

How I handle post-interview thank you's is to determine how I feel at the end of the conversation. Sometimes, an interview is ended with indication that you will definitely be asked to accept the position, pending pay package and details to be worked out with the travel company. In that case, I have sent a brief thank you e-mail. Other times, it is less clear. If the indication that you will be offered the position is less clear, and you want the job, I strongly recommend sending a nice thank you e-mail to the interviewer. Decisions are made quickly in this world, so a thank you card by snail mail might take too long. Also, an e-mail address may be easier to share over the phone during the interview than a physical address. However, you can decide that on your own if you REALLY want the job and you have enough time to get one sent out. In general, I think a nice simple thank you e-mail or card is always appropriate for any situation. I typically do not send thank you e-mails to interviewers that make it sound like there is little chance that I would be considered for the position, or if I am not at all interested in the position. As an aside, if it is realized during an interview that the interviewee is definitely not interested in the position, it hurts no one to explain tactfully that the position will not work out due to a. schedule; b. setting; c. timing of start/end dates, or whatever reason. It saves time and energy on everyone's part. Honesty and integrity is always the way to go. Thanks for the question!

Kate