Insurance question

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
querida

Insurance question

Unread post by querida » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Thank you for sharing your experiences about travel therapy! It has been great to read your personal experiences.

I am planning to begin travel therapy in 2015, I have begun to chat with different recruiters as you suggest. My question is, should I just get my own private health insurance? If I end up using 2-3 recruiters from different companies, I imagine there will be lapses in my coverage if I'm starting a contract from Company B after finishing with one from Company A. Can you share any lessons learned on this?

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Insurance question

Unread post by Hobohealth » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 am

The quick answer is that yes I carry my own insurance. I originally would take the agencies' insurance (which is typically very good) and know that I had COBRA as a backup if something happened between assignments. It became a bit of a pain switching all the time, so I just got my own - at the time it was very affordable, my premium has about tripled over the years, so I may have to consider other options - like Colorado's Health Exchange. But, I would say you should price it out and see how much it would be for you - here's a blog from last year with a little more info:
http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/contrac ... ed-emails/

James