HAWAII

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
agmitch1

HAWAII

Unread post by agmitch1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello--

Any thoughts on assignments in Hawaii? I know it is a competitive market and the cost of living is high and pay is low but anything else people want to share? Trying to decide if I want to go there next.... Thanks!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: HAWAII

Unread post by Hobohealth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 am

Hawaii is all about timing - it can be hit or miss, but there does tend to be a steadier flow of jobs than there used to be.

The trick is beating out the other 20 applicants that are likely to apply for the same job. I don't usually recommend this, but for Hawaii, consider giving you most trusted recruiter the green light to submit you to any job that pops up (sight unseen)... this can help you get at the top of the interview list which is determined by whoever gets submitted first.

If you're into being in a city, head to Oahu. If you want something a little more laid back, look at Maui, Kauai, or Big Island - and definitely island-hop on the weekends (Mokulele Airlines' 9-seat planes are inexpensive and awesome). My last two Hawaiian assignments were on Molokai - very rural/isolated, very rugged, very Hawaiian - I love it there, but it's definitely not for everyone). On Molokai, they will want experience and a variety of clinical skills.

Go to Hawaii, it's great and who knows when you'll get a chance to go again. It's definitely a different culture out there, but I like that. Glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Jrojas90

Unread post by Jrojas90 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:04 pm

I live in FL and I'm thinking of taking a HI contract but I'm worried about transportation. Should I get my car shipped? Should I take public transportation ?

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:10 pm

It really depends where you'll be, but I think finding some sort of car will be to your advantage. If you're in Honolulu, that's really the only way you could live comfortably without a car - I've done that there. A bike and the bus system will get you pretty far - it's like any other big city. But if you want to explore the rest of the island you'll still want a car. Bus systems exist on the other islands, but in my experience, their schedule and routes are limited. A bike or a moped would be cheap options, but you'll be limited in how far you can get.

Here are your 3 options for getting a car:

1. Ship one: about $1,000 from the West Coast (I used a company called Pasha)

2. Buy one on Craigslist when you get out there, sell it at the end (or ship it back to the mainland if you really like it). Oahu, the island with Honolulu, has a lot of options because of all the military there. Easy to buy a cheap car from someone who is moving away. You could also go to Honolulu, buy a car and ship it to another island for $400 on Youngs Brothers - a bit of a logistical nightmare, but an option.

3. Rent using Priceline. You put a bid on a rental car 30 days at a time that is either accepted or denied. You can end up with a cheap rental car, only problem is the price can change month-to-month. But, it might be a way to get by for a few weeks with a rental while you find a car to purchase. I've also heard of people renting cars long-term through cheaper, smaller, local rental car companies that rent you second-hand cars.

Here's a blog I did about a couple cars I had last time in Hawaii. I shipped one and bought one out there. I sold both cars before I left: http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/traveli ... -two-cars/

Hope this all helps!

James