Anyone set up a corporation to travel under?

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
ajappler

Anyone set up a corporation to travel under?

Unread post by ajappler » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:34 pm

I traveled for a year previously and am about to start again. I am wondering if anyone has set up a corporation to use as an umbrella for expenses and liability? I haven't researched it much yet, but thought this would be a great place to start.

Thanks!

Andrew, PT

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Anyone set up a corporation to travel under?

Unread post by Hobohealth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Andrew, I have heard of people doing this, there's one guy I know personally that did it too, but I find the whole thing wildly unnecessary.

I have done a couple assignments independently, not using a recruiter, and the job I return to annually for 5 months of the year is direct with a hospital. The first time I wanted to do an independent contract, I got my hands on some samples of contracts that I could use, I even grabbed one from the guy I know who made a company for himself to be a traveler - but I have never had to use any of these contracts. Every time I have worked directly for a company on a temporary basis, (two full time private practice gigs, one prn private practice, and the hospital I work at every year) the facility has already had a contract they use and they have hired me as their employee.

I also here of people being independent contractors. I almost had to do that this year, but the opportunity fell through, so I never really got the full picture of what's involved in that, but I believe it consists of filling out a 1099 tax form and making sure your liability insurance covers you as an independent contractor (for HPSO, it was going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 more).

Hope this all helps! I'd love to hear what someone who may have set up their own corporation would have to say, but my experience has been that most places that want you to work for them will hire you as an employee which just seems a lot easier to me.

Here's something I wrote in the past about independent contracts and links to some sample contracts: http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/independent-contracts/

James