Travel therapy companies / travel PT recruiters

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Travel therapy companies

Unread post by Hobohealth » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 pm

I talked with a new grad last year who he and 2 other friends were trying to pull off traveling together - they ended up traveling in Vegas and have made it work (and based on Facebook posts look like they're loving it). I think a couple things need to be in place for it to work for you:
1. Choose the right city - you need a place that has a lot of openings available.
2. If your group is set on going to one location together, someone will likely have to be flexible on setting - i.e. finding 3 outpatient jobs in the same location could work, but it's going to be a lot easier if you're all open to opportunities in a variety of practice settings.
3. Timing - you just have to get a little lucky. The ebb and flow of jobs in any particular city can change quickly and in either direction.

Bottom line, you can pull it off, but you'll have to be flexible.

I'll shoot you an email with my recruiters and I'll shoot you the info of the PT who traveled with his friends to Vegas.

Good luck!

James

seads12

Unread post by seads12 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi, so I am the "new grad' from last year that James mentioned. All of what James said is great advice and some of which we too took into consideration when we were in your shoes trying to travel with 3 right after school. I would say that we got lucky with our first assignment in Vegas as our agent found 3 ortho jobs in a 15 mile radius well in advance of our date of graduation. Often times, finding assignments that quickly and that far in advance is seldom to none, especially with 3. However, our second go around was not as easy. Before ending in Vegas, our current recruiter said the state of Washington would be a great place to travel next as finding a job would be easier; however, this was not the case. We trusted that she would find something but as weeks went buy with no opportunity, we decided to become more proactive. This would be my advice to you guys is not to rely solely on your recruiter. Also, make sure you have more than one you are talking to in order to keep more options available (because at the end of the day it is a business and they are trying to make a living just like you). Being more proactive enabled us to search the web and allocate travel opportunities in Washington. Once we found some, we contacted the travel agent and the next day we all had interviews and had jobs later that week. My point is, when traveling with three you may have to be more proactive in getting what you want instead of solely relying on your agent(s).

Really, everything else that James mentioned I agree with. Traveling with 3 is 100% possible. Both us and another group of girls from our graduating class (basically the male version of us) are traveling together and all of us are currently still together in our second contracts. Us (NV & Wash), them (VA & now Arizona - and they all 3 got outpatient jobs)! So, if recruiters are telling you its not possible, then I would probably move on to another one and/or be proactive and do your own research. Other than that, as long as you guys are open to various settings and stay flexible, you will find something. I've had no regrets and we are all loving it so far. Not a whole lot of jobs allow you to travel your own country with opportunity to travel abroad in-between as well. So go for it! Let me know if you have further questions. Good luck!

nmchavis

Unread post by nmchavis » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:09 pm

Thank you!!! This is much appreciated. We are all very flexible as far as settings go. We're shooting for the pacific northwest, preferably Washington, probably Seattle.

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Awesome, great advice Sean, thanks so much!

LsmithPT

Unread post by LsmithPT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:55 pm

Hey James,

I will be graduating in May and just now decided to look into travel therapy as an option. Can you send me an email with the companies that you would recommend? Also, I have been struggling to find a consensus on what is an acceptable starting pay for new grads in the traveling area... do you have any insight into this as well?

Thanks,

Laura

My email is [email protected]

This sight is amazing and I appreciate what you have done to inform others!!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Laura,

Here's a really long answer to your pay question:
http://hobohealth.com/wordpress/contrac ... -you-paid/

...and here's a little bit more direct answer on our discussion boards: http://www.hobohealth.com/phpBB3/viewto ... f=3&t=5729

But the real answer is that it varies a lot depending on geography, timing, and even the individual clinic. You want a recruiter that will be working for you and not hiding money from you. Check out the links above, and that should give you an idea of where you can start, but expect to hear quite a range of pay depending where you go.

I'll email you my recruiters!

James

Danielle

Unread post by Danielle » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:12 pm

My fiancee and I are looking into doing travel therapy starting in the summer. We are excited for the experience and the adventure. I have been contacted by several travel companies in the past and have previously dealt with pushy recruiters. Do you have any advise for getting the right recruiter? I would also appreciate the list of your recommendations on physical therapy companies. My email is [email protected]
Thanks! I found this website very useful!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Danielle,

I've sent you my recruiters, but here's a little extra advice.

Just remember that you are the commodity, without therapists, there is no one for recruiters to staff. You should feel as though your recruiter is there to help you down the road. If you contact a company about getting an assignment and don't hear from them for weeks, then I say move on to another company - there's hundreds of recruiting agencies, there's no need to give apathetic or pushy recruiters the time of day.

James

jessierose24

Unread post by jessierose24 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Thank you so much for creating this site! I have been looking around for a few days and all of the questions I had have been pretty well answered or you have already provided a link to someone else that I was able to follow along with! I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this! I am getting ready to graduate in May and seeing as how I don't have any ties to the area I go to school I thought travel would be a great way to start off. I am a non-trad student and have spent many of my formidable years in austere environments for months at a time so I think that if I can do that... I can do anything for 13ish weeks. That being said, I have spoken to a couple of recruiters - all of whose names have been passed along to me as good ones. One of them really stands out and I am iffy on the other two. I was hoping you might send me the names of your recruiters so I might reach out to them. Thank you in advance!

Jessica
[email protected]

kaitfras

Unread post by kaitfras » Fri May 20, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi James,

I am a new PT graduate and I am also interested in travel therapy. I have spoken with a few recruiters at conferences and such and can already tell the difference in smaller vs. larger companies. I am currently talking to a recruiter from a small/medium sized company but I was wondering if you could send me the list of companies that you have experience with, just for more options.

Email: [email protected]

Thanks in advance!
Kaitlyn

kurtzj

Unread post by kurtzj » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi James,
I am a new grad who is looking into traveling therapy. I was wondering if you could email me a list of travel company recommendations. My email is [email protected] Thanks so much!
Jenna

Reese24

Unread post by Reese24 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:48 am

Hi,

I have been working as a travel PT for about a year. Do you mind sending me an e-mail of travel companies you would and wouldn't recommend?
email: [email protected]

Thanks!

rallison

Unread post by rallison » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi James,
Awesome site! Can't say enough about how helpful your information on here has been. My fiancé and I are looking to do travel PT starting within the next year. At this time, I feel a little overwhelmed by the amount of travel companies available to work with out there. Would you be able to send me a list of companies that you recommend and any tips on resources that you have found helpful in the travel PT world? My email is [email protected]. I really appreciate any time you take to help answer my questions.
Thanks again James,
Ryan A.

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Ryan,

So glad the site has been helpful for you. You know I already emailed you back, but figured I would jump on here and repeat some of my commentary on travel resources.

Sadly, there's not a whole lot. Most of the bigger websites out there are owned by staffing agencies or if they have some sort of recruiter-ranking or a "help you find a trusting recruiter" service, these are in fact paid for by recruiters.

There are however, a lot of small blogs by travelers that are worth reading and there are a bunch of Facebook pages that are full of people giving their 10 cents. One such facebook page is specifically for healthcare travelers living in RVs.

James

paminclermont

Unread post by paminclermont » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:25 pm

I would like recommendations for travel companies too. In south US