Thinking about traveling

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
EllieM125

Thinking about traveling

Unread post by EllieM125 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi all! This is a great resource for someone like me who is considering traveling, and I've learned a lot. But it also brings up a LOT more questions. I have worked as a PTA for seven years in inpatient/outpatient, but I'm now thinking about starting a travel career later this year. I've spoken with a couple of companies, but would welcome any recommendations. What about housing? Better to find your own or go with the company housing? I also have two cats, will that make finding housing more difficult? If I plan to take 2-3 weeks off between assignments should I look at getting my own insurance? Is it harder to find PTA jobs consistently? How crazy do taxes get to be in regards to expenses and per diem and wages?
Those are some of my most pressing questions. I'm sure there will be many more the more I look into this. Thank you for this website!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about traveling

Unread post by Hobohealth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 am

Goooood questions.

Let's try to take them 1-by-1, I'm sure you'll have more questions later.

I started with the company finding me housing just for ease, but haven't done that since my first assignment. If you find your own housing, you can usually find a better deal financially. But, since you'll likely be looking for a furnished apt (unless you rent furniture which can get pricy), the options get narrowed down pretty quickly. Yes, the cats will make it more difficult to find a place - but people find ways to do it. Some travelers consider living in a camper at a campground where the challenge of having a pet can be minimized (as long as the campground allows animals).

Don't worry about taking a couple or three weeks between assignments for insurance. Some companies will threaten to pull your insurance if you don't return to work in 2 weeks - but, COBRA should cover you (Federal gap insurance). Essentially if you have an insurance need between jobs, you can retroactively enact the employer-sponsored insurance you just had. COBRA costs a lot, but it's better than having to pay health bills out-of-pocket.

I'm not sure about the availability of PTA travel jobs. I know they are out there, but you might find more regional needs in certain places.

Good questions! Keep 'em coming.

EllieM125

Unread post by EllieM125 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 am

Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for answering my questions! I had some issues come up which slowed down my plans. Now I am on track to begin traveling sometime in July. I have spoken with two different companies and they have two very different approaches. One company wants to secure me a job and then have me get my license in that state. The other company wants me to get a license in a state where they are certain they can get me placed. What is the standard/best option?
I am not dead set on going to any particular place, but there are certain locations I don't want to go to. Both these companies gravitated right to placing me in California, which is on my list of places I don't really want to go to. Any recommendations on other travel companies I might should look into? I've tried to do research online, but there are so many options out there.
Thank you again for your input!

Sincerely,
Ellen

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 am

I would say you need to dictate to them where you want to go. They are pushing you towards Cali because they have a lot of need and can make good money placing you on assignment there. You should choose where you want to go and make them find jobs for you... Also, if there's somewhere you'd really like to go, I would get your license there. Waiting to get your license later sounds like leaving a lot up to chance of the license being processed in a timely manner. California, for example, can take 4-6 months to get a license (most states are much faster than that).

Shoot me an email, I'd be happy to share my recruiters' info with you! [email protected]