PTA travelers?

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
Timberline

PTA travelers?

Unread post by Timberline » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:53 pm

I will be starting a travel career next year, yay! :D I'm already applying for my licensures, as I do like to plan ahead.

I was hoping to connect with some PTA travelers on here, or if any of you PT's have this information, it would be much appreciated! I have two big questions, as this site has answered so many other questions already. BTW, this site is awesome. I can't thank you enough for the great resource.

1). What can a traveling PTA expect to make? I see lots of good advice here for PT salary, but I haven't seen much for PTA's. I have 5 years experience in outpatient, subacute rehab and SNF's. I understand salaries vary according to location and population, and that there are some negotiables, but I'm curious as to what a baseline might be. Like the rest of you, I don't want to undersell myself getting into the game.

2).If most PT's expect to be placed within 2-4 weeks of looking for a job, is this timeline similar for PTA's? Are there more, less or the same amount of positions to be filled as PT's?

Thanks for any information you can share.

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: PTA travelers?

Unread post by Hobohealth » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 pm

As for question 2, I would say the timeline is similar for PTAs. Not to say that you couldn't find an assignment further out under the right circumstances - it is just more common to find jobs on a short timeline.

For questions 1, I honestly have no idea... let me see what I can stir up from PTAs and COTAs over the next couple days to see if I can get an answer (fingers crossed).

So glad you have found the site helpful, makes me happy.

James

Timberline

Unread post by Timberline » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks so much James! I look forward to any other PTA specific information you might stumble upon.

I had a lunch with a traveling PT last week, and hope to meet with a friend that used to own a travel company within the next month. But it would really be great to connect with some PTA's or COTA's.

And what do you think about the number of PTA jobs vs PT jobs? Any idea?

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 am

No clue on # of PTA travelers... or I guess the real question is number of jobs available versus number looking.

But, I have crossed paths with my fair share of travel PTAs, so they are out there. The geographic need might be a little more nuanced than with PT depending on what areas use PTAs more than others.

Seetheworld0621

Unread post by Seetheworld0621 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if you are traveling as a PTA. I'm thinking about traveling again. I did 1 travel assignment back in 2012.

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Uhg! There's a lot of PTA's on here writing. I wish there was a way to connect all of you to get some better info out there.

I'll refer to these posts as well, you might try posting in them to see if you can get someone to reply:
http://hobohealth.com/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... PTA#p11589
http://hobohealth.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8244

-James

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I know there's some questions out there about how PTAs find jobs in a much more limited market than for PTs. I've directed a handful of travel PTAs to this post and hope there's some useful discussion.

How do you, as a PTA, track down one of the limited travel PTA positions out there? Is it limited to certain states? Do you need to be more flexible in setting and location? What do you find to be typical travel PTA pay?

Thanks for your input!

AmiePTA

Unread post by AmiePTA » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 pm

When it comes to traveling as a PTA I feel you need to be open to location. The less precise you are in location; setting the higher chance there is of having a job.

I’ve found that Maryland, California, New York are some States that generally always have PTA jobs.

As far as pay goes, I don’t think I would feel comfortable taking a job that pays less than 1,000 per week (after taxes) the cost of living is so ridiculous everywhere you go for short stays or leases sometimes it may not be worth it. It really depends on if you are willing and able to go literally anywhere.

Jenjenortiz413

Unread post by Jenjenortiz413 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm a PTA looking to start my travel career! Its true that there aren't too many resources out there for assistants and if I could connect to any assistants that are traveling that would be super helpful!
TIA