trying to get a Florida job in September, too early to look?

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
JenPen

trying to get a Florida job in September, too early to look?

Unread post by JenPen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Hey, I am going to try some travel PT, I want to move to Florida in September and from the three travel companies I contacted and sent all my info to, they are not really responding as they did in the beginning when I first signed up. What is the deal? Are there no jobs in Florida? Am I asking too early? How early do the jobs post or come available? I am confused! Ohhh and I am traveling with my husband and 2 young children...so it would be nice to know of a job before we sell our house here in California.

Thanks for any help!
Jennifer

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: trying to get a Florida job in September, too early to l

Unread post by Hobohealth » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Jennifer,

I've experienced this same thing very recently. You call a staffing agency, talk for 15-20 minutes about who you are and where you'd like to go, and then don't hear from the company again for several weeks... weird!

You might be a little early to be expecting a ton of assignments, but not hugely so. I consider 2-4 weeks from my start date an ideal window. But, you should be hearing something by now, some jobs should be popping up at this point.... maybe not your ideal setting this far out, but you should be hearing SOMETHING!

I am growing more and more cynical of larger staffing agencies. I just picture someone on the other end of the phone putting my name in a database under the states I'm licensed in and forgetting who I am. I've been more successful with smaller companies in the past couple years.

There's a couple large networks out there that hospital HR departments contract with to list their traveler needs, all staffing agencies pay to be a part of these networks and get many of the same jobs from these networks. That's why you'll hear nothing and then all of a sudden have 4 recruiters call you with the same job on the same day.

In my recent searches, mostly Northern New England, I've found better luck with smaller staffing agencies who are more willing to go out on their own to find assignments rather than just relying on enormous databases of jobs and clinicians.

So, I guess my advice is to go find different recruiters. As a PT, you are the commodity. Without you in a job, the agency and recruiter isn't making any money. REMEMBER THAT!

James