Traveling Mental Health Therapist?

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
Cnheard

Traveling Mental Health Therapist?

Unread post by Cnheard » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:24 am

Hi!

I've been researching quite a bit scouring the web for opportunities to travel as a Mental Health Therapist. I have a Masters in Social Work with LMSW licensure and School Social Work licensure. It seems the closest occupation that can be found on travel therapy websites is School Psychology, which without a Psychology degree and exam I am not qualified for. I wonder if you have any insight into recruiters who might be more flexible or have more contacts and potentially be able to find a placement for my occupation? I wonder if you have ever come across a recruiter or organization that did specifically place Social Workers or Mental Health Professional/ Therapists? I'm feeling a bit lost in my search! Any guidance would be fantastic :) Feel free to email me as well [email protected]. Thanks!

Chelsea Heard
[email protected]
(901) 340-9162

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: Traveling Mental Health Therapist?

Unread post by Hobohealth » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 pm

I just don't know.... but I'm going to find out.

I searched "traveling social worker" into google and saw two agencies in the early results.... who knows if they actually place MSWs. Have you checked with any agencies? I'm going to email my recruiters right now and see if they ever place people like you.

I know there is someone who can find assignments for you, we just have to figure out who it is.

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:37 am

Chelsea, here is a reply from one of my recruiters, I'm going to email you their contact info:

"We do place social workers. Licensure is a pain though. Plus they typically need to be LCSW. They often have supervision requirements or need many years of experience to get another state license. We would help reimburse a candidate that wanted to look at other state licenses like therapy, but it usually has to be on the far horizon (not a state they want to go to soon) and we mostly look at traveling in states currently licensed in."

Cnheard

Unread post by Cnheard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks so much! ( I got your email, but I am just now seeing the response on here :) )

Yes! I have reached out to all of the travel staffing agencies I could find. I tried Focus Staffing, which I was finally able to find, as they do list social work opportunities, however I have not found them to be very responsive. I was told all of the positions on their website had been filled and to wait for a recruiter to get back in touch with me and have heard nothing.

I spoke with AMN Healthcare (Med Travelers and Club Staffing), Cariant Health Partners, Ramstand, Staffing Options and Solutions (SOS), My Pt Solutions, and Ardor Health.

With the exception of Focus, the response I got was either "we do not hire social workers," or "we don't usually get requests for social workers, but if I hear of anything I'll keep your name on file and get back to you." Here is hoping I luck into something! I wish there was more information out there for social workers/mental health therapy practitioners who want to travel!

Thanks so much for the response and email, James! If anything ever comes up, I'll update the thread :)

Chelsea

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks for the update and please do keep us updated here, I love to have this info available to others! Good luck!