OP ortho travel positions

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
dschumann87

OP ortho travel positions

Unread post by dschumann87 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Hello, I'm just coming on an ortho residency position and want to find a travel position in the same specialty area. I'm finding that these positions are few and far between. Any tips or information to make my search a little more successful? By the way, this will be my first traveling contract.
Last edited by dschumann87 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dschumann87

Re: OP ortho travel positions

Unread post by dschumann87 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm

How willing to I need to be to compromise my location to get the setting that I want?

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Unread post by Hobohealth » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Outpatient ortho jobs are out there and you may be asking the right question about how flexible you need to be on location. You're definitely going to find more or less needs depending on your location.

I've done quite a bit of outpatient for hospitals. Many of those assignments are ortho-heavy... and it's not so bad to have a little additional exposure to some neuro and other stuff that you'll see in those clinics. Make sure you ask about the population you'll be treating on any interview!

The last way I would suggest that you could be more flexible to open up some opportunities is consider a position with a hospital that is inpatient and outpatient. If you're honest during the interview about your intentions to do as much outpatient ortho as possible, you may get a good response. I've worked assignments that were supposed to be 50/50 inpt/outpt and ended up with it being very much the majority of my time in outpt... if you don't have much inpt experience, I would add that seeing the more acute side of ortho will do a lot to enhance your outpt treatments and knowledge-base.

Just my 10 cents,

James

jencrane

Unread post by jencrane » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:44 am

Which ortho residency? I just finished up an ortho residency as well, and it took hardly any time to find a travel outpatient ortho job. I was pretty surprised, as I had many of the same concerns that you do. Just get on board with a good travel company!!