New To Traveling

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
esg4491

New To Traveling

Unread post by esg4491 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Hello James,
I am looking to begin the exciting adventure as a traveling therapist out west this coming fall/winter. I have began the process for obtaining licensure in Oregon and have began talking with a couple recruiting agencies without submitting all the formal documentation (skills checklist, etc) or having them search for assignments. I have gotten some impersonal impressions from a couple of the recruiters and it seems as if they may be with larger companies compared to others. I was wondering if you could email me a list of some agencies you have either had positive experience with or have heard good reviews? I appreciate any help you can give; my email is [email protected]

- Eric

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: New To Traveling

Unread post by Hobohealth » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Eric,

Great thoughts about vetting your recruiters. If it feels impersonal, it is, and there's far too many options in recruiters and agencies to put up with that kind of foolishness.

Good on you to hold off on submitting skills checks, etc. When companies ask for these early, I find it a very big turn-off. I have told companies I would like to see what they have available for jobs etc and wait until it comes down to actually submitting me to a potential interview and job to fill out all the paperwork they need, this is usually well received and I don't work for the companies that won't go along with this - I don't need a bunch of recruiting agencies that I will never end up working for running around with my resume, calling my references, and making me fill out hours of paperwork. I had too many recruiters in my earlier years of traveling. It ended up causing trouble, so many companies were running around with my resume flaunting me as "their candidate" that I one time got submitted to a single job by 3 different companies... yikes, not good.

I'll email you my recruiters, but whoever you end up working with remember that your recruiter should be a partner in this. They should have a personal interest in finding you the job you want and keeping you happy. The therapist is the commodity, when we don't get employed, the agency and recruiter don't get paid.

That's my 10 cents. Good work, stick to your guns!

James