California license

Just starting out as a traveler? Traveling questions or experiences to share? Here's the place.
jesgibso

California license

Unread post by jesgibso » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am

Hi,
Just wondering if any of you have traveled to California. I have heard there are many travel jobs there but have also heard that the taxes can be a lot. Just wondering if it will be worth the time and cost for A. getting the license and B. traveling there with high taxes, and in the end if the pay is still worth it. Alternatively I am considering Arizona or Nevada licenses.
Thanks!

Hobohealth
Site Admin

Re: California license

Unread post by Hobohealth » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Oh California....

I haven't heard that the taxes are high there, I wouldn't worry about it too much - the difference is probably not that huge.... I just looked it up, CA income tax is tiered (the more you make the more you are taxed), but you'd likely be taxed at 8-9%. Where I used to live in Maine the tax was 6%-8%, here in Colorado it's somewhere around 4%-5%. There's states without any individual income tax, so I guess the comparison all depends on where you are coming from.

I do know that there are a bunch of travel jobs in California, I know a lot of people who have worked there. It sounds like they get paid pretty well out there too, some of the higher rates I've ever heard of. I don't know what kind of experience you have, but I know that home care pays really well there.

So, I don't know, I've thought about California a bunch for the lots of well paying jobs, but I've never gotten my license there because of the 4-6 month process.

Maybe someone else on here has feedback?

James

PTNomad

Unread post by PTNomad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:26 pm

I worked there for 6 months and I'd have to say that I never really noticed the taxes being that much higher. My bring home pay was several hundred dollars more a week than any other of my assignments, albeit being home care. None the less, it was much much better pay. As far as the license goes, James is right that it does take forever. Took me about 5-6 months to get. I currently have 4 licenses and if I decide to let any licenses expire California will not be one of them. Great license to have.

jshannonhouse

Unread post by jshannonhouse » Tue May 12, 2015 8:28 am

Hey Jesgibso,

I personally have worked with dozens of contractors through the years that have worked in California and while the taxes are slightly higher than some states, it is typically made up for by the higher rates. Cost of living is also a factor to be considered, but the per diems are really good in most areas in California that have the higher cost of living. Surprisingly, CA doesn't even have higher rates than a more frequently traveled state like PA (this is mostly because most travel jobs reside in the Philly area in PA and they pay a city tax there as well as the state tax). As others mentioned, the license process can be a bear but what I've found is if you're already doing contract work, if you plan ahead and know going in it will take 4 months to get licensed, then take a contract or two elsewhere until it comes through and reap the rewards of the current market.

Happy Travels!

Jeff
[email protected]